Tuesday 1 November 2011

Featured Etsy Seller - Julie Marie Shop


Tell us a bit about yourself - (where do you live, what's your name etc..)
I am Julie Marie Burns and I currently live in Asheville, NC. I say currently because I am originally from Madison, WI. My husband, Dave and two kids Lily age 5 and Smith age 3 recently moved to Asheville. We aren’t quite sure if there is where we are going to stay, but for now it works ok. I also recently started my own online business Julie Marie Shop on etsy.


What do you make?

I make purses and bags, scarves, and pillows. I also make curtains, girls skirts and dresses, stuffed animals, and pretty much any crafty little thing. I love working with felt at christmas time to make stockings and ornaments. I am also into scrapbooking and papercrafts, but my real passion is sewing.

Why do you use that medium?
I love fabric. I love everything about it. The feel, how it drapes, and the lovely patterns. It truly is an obsession.

When/ how did you start crafting?
I have always been a crafty person. It all began with drawing and painting all through school, then once I graduated from college I started working at a fabric store and the passion began. I got my first sewing machine and the creativity started flowing. Then I had kids and I started sewing even more and got more heavily into papercrafts.

When did you start selling your stuff - where do you sell?
I started selling my stuff about three years ago at a local art gallery in Wausau, WI. I started selling baby shoes and bibs. Then once I moved to madison I started to learn about etsy, but I didn't actually start selling on etsy until August of this year (2011)

Do you also have a day job, or is this your main job?
My day job is a stay at home mom and selling on etsy. 
 

What do you love about your medium, what do you hate?
I love figuring out new layouts for my purses and experimenting with the drape and stretch of different fabrics, which is also one of the hardest parts of working with fabric. It is kind of a pain working with silky and stretchy material and also trying to get everything perfectly symetrical. I am a bit of a perfectionist so sometimes it can drive me mad when everything is not exactly straight.

Where do you get your inspiration from?
My biggest inspiration is other designers and crafters. Especially Amy Butler. She is a true inspiration and talent. But I also love all the crafters on etsy. They each inspire me in their own unique way.

What is your favourite music to craft to?
Jack Johnson, O.A.R, Death Cab for Cutie, and Feist


What is your favourite piece of your own?
The denim ruffle purse or asian inspired purse. Both allowed me to showcase the beauty of their fabrics. I hope others feel the same.





Where do you do your crafting?
My bedroom. I get a corner of the room for all my fabric, sewing machine, and cutting table/ironing board. This is not my ideal craft room, but I have to work with what I have. Luckily my husband is completely understanding and doesn’t mind the occassional mess.

You have a lovely store Julie - good luck with it all!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much. I love it. It turned out beautifully. I am now going to share it with everyone.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete

src="http://www.linkwithin.com/pixel.png" alt="Related Posts with Thumbnails" style="border: 0" />