Thursday 6 May 2010

Gemstones

I love working with gemstones. I find it amazing that these gorgeous stones that shimmer and glow are actually real stones,  mined from the earth. They are part of the substance of our planet - nature at is most glamorous!

(Click on any of the pictures to find out more!!)

I have never really believed in the healing powers of crystal that some people subscribe to, but I do figure if it looks good - I'll go with it. I also think there is something a just a little bit special about wearing your birthstone. And I know if I was ever pregnant again, I might just wear some moonstone - it's like reading a horoscope, I hardly ever do it and don't believe it even when I do... but if you want to believe it enough.... any extra amulet, or good luck charm to help with some situation in particular can often feel really special.



The actual definition of what makes a gemstone is a bit hazy - gemstones certainly seem to be minerals or rocks - but what makes a mere rock a gemstone? Does it have to be rare? Nope - quartz is one of the most common gemstones around - in various forms and colours. Does it have to be clear and sparkly? No - I often use black onyx, or matt black agate. Does it have to be expensive - oh no - head over to my shop to buy some veeerrrry reasonably priced gemstone jewellery.



At the end of the day, it seems to be in the eye of the beholder - they have to be hard enough to be cut and polished, but mainly it's that they are nice looking enough for people to want to use them to make jewellery. And thats about it!

1 comment:

  1. Lovely items there, I bought my Mum some lovely Moonstone jewellery the other year, such a fascinating stone to look at. My son love love loves gems too - he has a room full of rocks and gems.

    ReplyDelete

src="http://www.linkwithin.com/pixel.png" alt="Related Posts with Thumbnails" style="border: 0" />